Monday, April 19, 2010

Simala in Sibonga


This wasn't in my original plan but I was seated on the bus beside a friendly Grandma who was on her way to Simala, Sibonga.  I  have  heard a lot of good things about the place and was curious to find out about the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary.  So, I decided to tag along with Grandma Tita and her neighbor Sita. 

When we arrived at Simala, we had lunch together (chicken tinola) before entering the monastery grounds.

As can be seen in the photographs, the architecture of the church and the monastery is of Portuguese influence.   Set amidst a garden setting, the place was relaxing and conducive to prayer.

As I entered the church I saw a lot of crutches and wheelchairs. Grandma Tita said those were given by devotees who were healed.

I paid Php 50.00 for the bus ride up to Babao and Php 20.00 for the tricycle ride.

I'd like to use this blog to thank Grandma Tita for being my impromptu tour guide in Simala and for being gracious enough to allow me to tag along with them. She has a chorizo business at unit 1 in Ermita (carbon) market.

No comments:

Post a Comment