Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More than Balamban's Pork Liempo

You didn't think anyone would blog about Balamban's Pork Liempo did you?  What makes this piece of meat taste heavenly is its added spices and seasoning. It just tastes delightfully different than the pork liempo offered in Cebu City.

Succulent cuts of pork liempo are sold in a nondescript stall beside Balamban's new municipal hall. Contrary to expectations, this unpretentious food stall boasts of plenty of loyal customers.

As you can see in the photo, my favorite pork liempo (that's the one to the left inside my tupperware) goes well with vegetable soup or our very own "Utan Bisaya" and a bit of Pipino Salad... really delicious!

It must really be that good since some people in Cebu City would brave the precipitous turns and blind curves of the transcentral highway to get to Balamban town proper to eat pork liempo.

My sister was saying last weekend that I should have my head checked since going all the way to Balamban to have lunch is to her completely insane.  Well, that would include some people I know who go all the way from Manila to Cebu just to eat lechon...ha..ha..ha...

I like the freedom of anonymity in Balamban.  I'm not afraid of bumping on someone who recognizes me. I can arrive there disheveled and wear the most unfashionable clothes or the most unbecoming shoes and nobody takes a photo of me to post on Facebook or someone else's blog like I'm some kind of over-the-hill celebrity. 

Oh yes, if you happen to be my admirer, you would've been disappointed seeing me in that corner of Balamban's carenderia eating pork liempo and dressing like a bag lady with nary a care in the world (So what? A love that hinges on my looks is stressful...ha..ha..ha).

Speaking of celebrity, did you know that when I was in elementary, my bedtime prayer went something like this: "Lord, I'm not asking much. I don't want to be famous nor powerful ..... (pause)... but I definitely want to be very rich so I can buy anything for my baon."  Yes, I know, I wasn't your regular kid. But I knew back them that, with more means, my choices in life widen.

My definition of "rich" these days, however, has stretched to include enjoying the company of friends, having travel opportunities and the simple pleasures of life....like eating pork liempo. So, God, if You are reading this, this was what I really meant years ago.  Thank You for all Your blessings;  I'm still enjoying it... really.  This is what people call LIFE !  Please keep it coming, Lord  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment