Saturday, October 9, 2010

Home for the weekend


I’m staying home today to avoid unnecessary expenses. I guess I should stay home on weekends for the rest of the year (except December, of course).  I’m saving up for something big.


To entertain myself, I reread my books…most of which are non-fiction. These are the kind of books that make me appreciate the comforts I am currently enjoying. I get this warm, fuzzy, secure feeling while reading the sufferings of the protagonists in the stories. In some pages, however, I get agitated or feel gagged and suffocated from reading a graphic description of a painful experience… it often induced me to get out of the house and travel or indulge myself.

The main characters in these true stories lived in intolerant, narrow-minded societies and went through physical, emotional, and mental torture. Yet, because of the strength of their spirit and faith, they survived unimaginable violence and atrocities. 

It is interesting to discover how these protagonists overcame their miserable situation. Common tactic applied by these people is to stop or numb “feeling” in order to lessen their pain whether physical, emotional or psychological. I didn’t know you can do that just by using your mind.  This is used effectively by the characters in the book “This Blinding Absence of Light” and “Stolen Lives.”

These stories remind me of a study made by a group of psychologists on why people have vices. They said that they can easily pinpoint people who are unh
appy with their situation by their answers to these five questions: Do you take drugs?, Do you drink (alcohol)?, Do you smoke?, Do you binge? How often?  Their explanation is that the first two vices numb our feelings and blunt our senses. The last two vices fill a void or try to replace something unpleasant. It is a way to escape.

”If you truly enjoy or find pleasure in your present situation you would want all your five senses sharp and alert in order to fully savor the experience.”

No comments:

Post a Comment