Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Busay's Columbarium

It's almost All Souls' Day so I might as well talk of the columbarium. 

I ambled down this morning from Tops for my morning exercise and saw this in Busay. Considering how beautiful the place is (architecture and landscape included), I decided to walk around. It certainly is clean, breezy, and peaceful there and definitely environment friendly.

A columbarium is a place for the respectful and public storage of cinerary urns (i.e., urns holding a deceased’s cremated remains). The term comes from the Latin columba (dove) and originally referred to compartmentalized housing for doves and pigeons.

Cremation of the dead and the columbarium are not very popular in the Philippines. However, it is currently an acceptable interment for Christians. Being a pragmatic person, I prefer the columbarium over the cemetery.  Cremation is not just cheap, it is also hygienic.

No comments:

Post a Comment