Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hibernating at a Budget Hotel

So this is suppose to be a blog on travel and my weekly exercise.  Although I'd really like to go somewhere every weekend, the summer heat has been so intense it has caused me regular headachesI noticed I was hibernating more on pension houses and hotels rather than mountains and seas.  Give me a break, even Baguio, the country's summer capital, has warmed up.

Rather than whining over a depressing situation, I decided to blog on pension houses and hotels where I've stayed.  In that way I'd be doing travelers to Cebu a favor.

First thing I look when I pick hotels or pension houses is, of course, the price.  I'm a certified "kuripot"; not exactly stingy like Scrooge but a bit more careful with my spending. I guess its how I've been trained by Mama.  After price, comes sanitation.  I'm a no-frills kind of person; but no-frills doesn't mean being amenable to staying in a pigsty


Basic amenities in my room are important: airconditioner, a window that doesn't directly face the sun (having no windows is actually OK for me), absolute quiet (location that is not near a street or pedestrian traffic or a karaoke house), no television is fine with me (I'll either be writing or reading anyway), clean sheets and a fluffy pillow, dressing table large enough to write, hotel/pension house should be near a restaurant, sari-sari store or cafeteria.






With the above criteria, I first came to discover Golden Valley Hotel in Pelaez Street.  It's beside a campus. The area was relatively quiet when I arrived as it was school vacation time.

Golden Valley has its own restaurant so eating breakfast or dinner was convenient.  The food was well cooked and appetizing enough.  There were newspapers at the lobby and restaurant which is a plus for me.  I enjoy reading on the news. What's more they had Manila Bulletin newspaper on a Saturday.  I like MB's excerpts of features on the New York Times.


Overall, I'd recommend this budget hotel. It's value for money.

1 comment: