Wednesday, January 20, 2010

USPF to Capitol Hills





















I love museums, that is why during my vacation leave, I decided to visit the University of Southern Philippines' Rizal Museum at Salinas Drive, Lahug

According to the curator, the Rizal Museum at the University of the Philippines Foundation is actually the biggest collection of Rizal’s artifacts outside Manila.

The personal belongings of Rizal were donated by Doña Trinidad, Rizal’s younger sister, to the University. Her niece, Concepcion Herbosa, the daughter of Mariano Herbosa and Lucia Rizal was married to the former USPF Vice President Escolastico Duterte. She promised to donate the personal belongings of her brother when she visited USPF on February 11, 1951. Doña Trinidad wanted to give her niece the cherished possessions of our national hero.

After my museum tour, I took lunch at the school canteen and then went to CAMP Marina at Capitol Hills via taxi, I heard that they have a botanical garden. Unfortunately, no one knew where the botanical garden is located. It's not within the Boy or Girl Scouts' Headquarters. So, I proceeded with my day's walk by ambling down the hill towards the Capitol building.
Cebu Governor Gwen Garcia was right, the present location of CAMP Marina is no longer ideal for girls and boy scouts since it is a bit polluted, what with passing vehicles and houses surrounding it. It is best that Camp Marina transfers to a cooler, mountainous area where the air is still fresh.

Along the way, I “rediscovered” the Cebu Zoo and got to know the new animals. From the caretaker I learned that the administration has recently signed an agreement with a private party to develop the Kalunasan area to achieve a better and bigger zoo.


When I reached the Capitol site, I took a jeepney and went to Paseo Arcenas, a relatively new shopping and dining area, a product of the booming call center industry in the province. If you are looking for a spacious place with less people for supermarket shopping, Rustan's at the Paseo is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment